Write code in various languages, experiment with ideas, translate data and generate visualizations, with this accessible development environment
Beaker is a helpful utility aimed at developers that provides an alternative method of writing code. Compared to traditional IDEs, it puts more focus on experimentation and allows you to work with multiple languages at once, in the same notebook.
It is browser-based and highly modular, enabling each user to activate optional components depending on their needs.
Write code in multiple languages and create dependencies between cells
Each code block found in a specific notebook is represented in the form of a cell. There can be any number of them in a particular project, and they can each use a separate coding language.
Moreover, it is possible to introduce links between them so that, for example, a developer can write code in a specific cell depending on the results from a previous one.
Beaker also comes equipped with an auto translation function that allows developers to access variables written in a certain language and process them in another.
Analyze graphic data representations and share your notebooks with others
Complex data visualizations can be generated with the included charting API for Groovy that can also be accessed from other languages through a JSON interface.
Sharing your notebooks with friends or colleagues is a fairly simple task, as you can take advantage of the available publication server to host and showcase your work. You can even interact with the embedded charts and tables.
Enable support for more languages by installing optional components
The installation instructions can be found on the developer’s website, should you wish to use Python, R, Julia, Node, Ruby, Kdb or C++ in your projects.
In conclusion, Beaker offers developers an alternative coding environment that is better suited for working with multiple languages at the same time and trying out new ideas within interactive notebooks.
- 64-bit processor
- Multi-Language Support:
- Notebooks Enable Iterative Exploration:
- If we could liken the traditional IDE to a multinational conglomerate, then Beaker is the agile startup. More dynamic, a notebook IDE is composed of multiple coding blocks, called cells. Individual cells can be run independently of others and contain different programming languages. The result is a flexible coding and prototyping environment, and a research experience that’s more like a symphony than a soliloquy.
- Translate Data Between Languages:
- We want you to be able to use the right tool for the job, knowing all your tools will work in concert. This is why Beaker provides native autotranslation that lets a developer declare specific variables in a cell in one language, then access these seamlessly in a different cell and language.
- Rich Visualizations:
- In addition to those extensive charting libraries native to supported languages, Beaker offers a rich charting API for Groovy, which can also be leveraged by other languages through a simple JSON interface. Not only does it produce beautiful, interactive charts but it also handles large datasets that would normally bring your browser to a halt.
- Share Notebooks Easily:
- You’ve created a notebook ripe with analysis, inline documentation, and compelling visualizations. Beaker then streamlines the process of sharing your work with friends and/or colleagues.