A powerful utility designed to provide a comprehensive environment where HL7 data can be loaded, viewed and transformed with minimal efforts
Transferring and sharing information is done in a variety of manners and data collected and stored in a certain format can be transformed in such a manner that it becomes accessible for all interested parties, even if they use different means of handling the data.
Patient information, for example, can be exchanged between hospitals as long as it is compliant with certain standards, like those of the Health Level 7 (HL7) organization. There are even dedicated software solutions for dealing with that specific format and Hl7Spy is one of them.
Practical interface with a well organized layout
The functions and commands that help operate this application are neatly stacked, according to the task they are made for, each in its corresponding menu and some of the more commonly used can be accessed straight from the right-click menu.
The main window is split into two parts, one hosting the data from the loaded hl7 file and the other dedicated to the detailed information on display and selected.
Customize the views and manage data with loads of tools
Hl7Spy is fully equipped to handle pretty much any compatible aggregation of data sent its way and for this purpose it features a segment editor, a statistics module, a comparison area, HL7 SQL and custom code management tools, as well as an SQL loader and an FTP browser.
Insofar as the other components of this utility are concerned, it is well furnished to carry out operations like merging, splitting or sorting data, adding watches and performing a variety of statistics calculations.
A powerful application for decoding and reading HL7 information
Overall, Hl7Spy manages to provide all the necessary instruments for working with a really special type of data in a straightforward manner. Nonetheless, it is mostly addressed to professionals, who can understand and use the information correctly.
- .NET FRAMEWORK 4.0 / 4.5 (FOR V.2 AND V.3)
- .NET FRAMEWORK 3.5 (FOR V.1)
LIMITATIONS IN THE UNREGISTERED VERSION
- 15 days trial (v.2)
- 30 days trial (v.3 Beta)
- Load – quickly load files, from 1KB to 100MB and more. HL7Spy will load 100,000 messages in less than a couple of seconds! Additionally, HL7Spy will auto detect most file types, and allow you to specify the format of particularly unusual files. Zipped files can also be opened directly.
- View – see messages in an easy-to-read layout, with field names and values decoded according to the HL7 standard. There are also many additional viewing features, such as normalizing encoding characters for better readability, highlighting fields by name, and viewing only relevant fields for each message.
- Edit – edit message directly, or use the Segment Editor to deal with field locations and escape characters automatically. The editor includes all the features you’ve come to expect, such as full Undo and Redo.
- Hex Editor – view/edit the raw HL7 message bytes. Search for invalid characters within the message stream.
- Search – build complex queries against whole messages or particular fields.
- Sort – sort large message collections based on the fields important to you.
- Analyze – generate statistics showing the unique values in each field, and quickly drill down to the messages with interesting content.
- Report – generate, save and print reports on large groups of messages.
- Send – send messages over the network using MLLP. View ACKs and/or NACKs, change message character encoding, and message framing bytes.
- Receive – receive messages on an unlimited number of ports. Search, view, and analyze messages as they are being received.
- Save – save all or some of the messages out to new files, with whichever file format and encoding you need. Advanced save functions include the ability to merge files.
- Detect Character Encoding – character encodings are detected automatically, and multi-byte encodings (such as Japanese) are fully supported.
- Search HL7 Standard – search the HL7 standard, viewing segment, field and component names, and see any tables associated with a field.
- Validation – use c# (vb coming soon) to write sophisticated validation routines, well beyond the simple table validation available in other tools. For example, validate the proper exam states transitions, or verify patient names are not modified during an ORM, or ORU update. Anything is possible!
- Transformations – modify messages using HL7 defined classes and full intellisense. For example: pid.PatientName_05=”SMITH^JOHN^D” sets PID-5 within the message to SMITH^JOHN^D.