Advanced Installer Professional is a Windows utility designed to help you build Windows Installer packages in a clean and intuitive working environment.
Although it comes packed with many dedicated parameters the user interface is straightforward, and gives users the possibility to create a new project by selecting the type, namely installer (e.g. Visual Studio or .NET applications, mixed 32/64-bit packages), Java, updates, add-ins, mobile, and others.
What’s more, you are required to give details about the name and company, select the installation package type (MSI, EXE, CD/DVD, Web installers, or GPO deployment), and specify the saving directory and installation package name.
You can add product details (e.g. name, version, support information), make the application automatically upgrade older product versions or allow side-by-side installations, specify the installation folder and package type (32 or 64-bit), and add conditions for the installer to run.
Plus, you can perform file management operations, such as move, remove, or copy, set file permissions, add shortcuts, create or update XML files, insert Registry keys and values, customize the GUI (welcome or exit dialog, progress pane), as well as add environmental variables to the install packages.
Advanced Installer Professional enables you to create professional projects by customizing them according with your advanced preferences. However, if you don’t need to create complex MSI packages, you can opt for a simple project, which can be configured with just a few clicks.
The program lets you use external tools for creating digital signatures, import XML and INI files, and apply validation options.
All in all, Advanced Installer Professional provides a complete suite of tools for helping developers design MSI packages.
Advanced Installer Professional is a Windows Installer authoring tool which enables developers and system administrators to easily build reliable MSI packages. Advanced Installer Professional is a useful tool for administrators and developers which allows them to create reliable MSI packages.
Windows Installer is a powerful, but very complex technology. Mastering it on your own takes months of hard work. That’s where Advanced Installer comes to help.
It creates a high level abstraction on top of the underlying technology. With a clean, simple user interface, each operation is logical and intuitive. Everything is done in the user interface, without complicated scripts to learn or arcane database tables to edit.
Advanced Installer is built on standard, open formats. The project files are saved as XML files for easy integration with source control systems.
- Advanced Installer makes MSI creation a snap
- Our software installer simplifies the process of building Windows Installer packages by providing a very easy to use, high level interface to the underlying technology. The program implements all the Windows Installer rules and follows all the advised best practices.
- With this simple, intuitive interface, building a Windows Installer package will take just a few minutes. Start the program, add a few files, change the name, hit the Build button and you are done. No scripts to learn, no seminars to attend.
- Read the Getting Started Tutorial to see how easy it really is.
- Advanced Installer integrates in automated build tools
- The Advanced Installer project files are stored in XML format. This way, they can be easily checked into a version control system. The software installer also operates at command line, so that you can build your release packages in a completely automated script, like Make, Ant or NAnt.
- Further more, the most common operations are also implemented as command line actions, so you can modify your project in an automated fashion.
- Install and register the resources composing your application
- Using Advanced Installer’s intuitive interface you can easily add to your install package all the resources your software requires:
- Files, Folders and Shortcuts (to installed files, existing files or URLs).
- Registry keys and entries.
- Environment Variables (which can be replace or be appended to existing variable like PATH).
- INI file entries.
- ODBC drivers, data sources and translators.
- If you have merge modules for your components, they can be also added to the installation. Next you can register these resources as necessary:
- Net and Win32 assemblies
- File Associations, MIME types
- Permissions for files, folders, registry keys and entries.
- If a previous version of your product is found already installed on the target computer, Advanced Installer can upgrade it and ensure that older version will not be installed over newer ones.
- Search, download and install Prerequisites
- If your application needs some other software to be installed in order to run, you can easily specify them as Prerequisites. Advanced Installer will search for them, then download and install as necessary. This is an easy way to install frameworks like JRE or .NET, browsers or database engines.
- Searching for applications, files, folders, registry keys and INI entries is also provided. Using this, installing additional files, extensions and plugins to existing applications becomes trivial.
- Organize your application in modules and components
- Advanced Installer will organize your application in Features and Components as per Windows Installer guidelines. This way you can take advantage of advanced software installer features like partial install and repair without having to do anything. Further customizing the organization is easy and intuitive.
- Secure and choose your package’s presentations
- Advanced Installer can leave your software’s files unpacked, compress them into CAB files (split in multiple volumes as needed), insert them into the MSI file and add a EXE bootstrapper for backwards compatibility.
- Digitally signing the generated files will ensure that your customers will never have to question the provenience of your software, and the user registration with serial code validation hooks will ensure that only legitimate users get to install your software.
- Extend the installation process with Custom Actions
- Packed as native EXEs, DLLs or script files and written in C, C++, VBS or JS, Custom Actions give you the full power to add anything you want, anywhere you want to your software installer.
- Customize the installation User Interface
- From silent (unattended) installation, to adding dialogs and changing the graphics, customizing the UI is trivial.