The Internet has become the main instrument for communication and getting information all around the world. Still, there are a lot of threats for the user: viruses and other malicious software, as well as dangerous websites are all-present.
AVG LinkScanner’s purpose is to allow safe browsing on the Internet. This software is a handy solution that enables you to search and surf the Web without worries. It protects you from ever-increasing online threats, by checking each web page in real time before it opens on your computer.
First of all, AVG LinkScanner runs in the system tray, permanently keeping an eye on the websites you access. It protects your computer without any effort from your part, although you have the possibility to adjust its settings at any time.
This protection module includes two components: Search-Shield and Surf-Shield. As the names suggest, these components, once activated, help you keep away from web-based attacks when searching or surfing the Internet.
AVG LinkScanner offers easy access to settings, allowing you to optionally disable one or both of the protection methods, as well as the system tray notifications.
You can integrate AVG LinkScanner with the compatible web browsers on your computer by installing an extension named AVG Safe Search. After enabling the addon, the program alerts you of any possible threat found on a website by displaying a rating and the risk category in your search engine. These are as follows: ‘Safe’, ‘Warning’ and ‘Dangerous’. Still, you can access the website if you really want to.
Furthermore, AVG LinkScanner includes on-demand scan feature, so you can easily scan a website address in order to detect threats on the page before you access it. The results are compatible with the ones other security products display. After viewing the scanning result, you can open the page directly from the main window of AVG LinkScanner.
In order to be notified about any new threats that you may encounter online, you can perform an update of AVG LinkScanner at any time you want.
Online threats are not all about viruses, as identity and personal information stealing have become a real issue. AVG LinkScanner is designed to prevent these situations, allowing you to safely surf, social network, search and shop without worrying.
Nowadays, there are far more threats out there than plain viruses. You have probably come across the term spyware as well, however, authors of malicious codes and dangerous websites are very innovative, and new kinds of threats emerge quite often, the vast majority of which are on the Internet. Here are some of the most common:
· Exploit is a malicious code that takes advantage of a flaw or vulnerability in an operating system, Internet browser, or other essential program.
· Social engineering is a common term for various techniques used to trick people into giving away their personal information (passwords, bank account details, credit card numbers etc.). A typical example of social engineering is phishing – an attempt to acquire sensitive personal data by shamming a trustworthy and well-known organization. Usually, the potential victims are contacted by a bulk e-mail asking them to e.g. update their bank account details. In order to do that, they are invited to follow the link provided which then leads to a fake website of the bank.
· Scam can be also considered a kind of social engineering; it includes false job offers, or ones that will abuse the workers for illegal activities, summons to withdraw a large sum of money, fraudulent lotteries and the like.
· Hoax is a bulk e-mail containing dangerous, alarming or just bothering and useless information. Many of the above threats use hoax e-mail messages to spread.
Finally, malicious websites are ones that deliberately install malicious software on your computer, and hacked sites do just the same, only these are legitimate websites that have been compromised into infecting visitors.
AVG LinkScanner was created to protect you and all the other users against all these online threats.
AVG LinkScanner is up and running immediately from the moment of installation. All basic settings have been pre-set by the manufacturer, so most of the time you will not have to worry about anything – just let AVG work in the background and protect you without any effort on your part. However, there might be situations where you need to adjust the program settings, or decide what to do with a virus infected file; this help system is here to provide detailed information and assist you with any task.
- Search-Shield scans search results and places a safety rating next to each link, so you know where it’s safe to click.
- Active Surf-Shield scans the page behind any link you click on or any web address you type into your browser. If the page is poisoned, it stops you from opening it.