CherryTree is a hierarchical note-taking application for brainstorming, planning, creating to-do lists, managing tasks, and generally keeping yourself organised.
This works much like many similar programs. You’ll create a few “nodes” – folders on a tree – to represent some structure (1, 1a, 1b, 2, 2a, 2b, 2c etc). Each node is effectively a separate page where you can enter whatever content you like. This might be text notes, links, images, tables, lists, files and more, each with a host of formatting options.
The core editor had many more features than we expected. Spell Check, subscript/ superscript, H1/ H2/ H3 toggling, case change commands, syntax highlighting for many common languages, there’s a lot here (although Spell Check may have to be enabled from Settings > Rich Text). And just about everything has its own keyboard shortcut for extra speed.
Important nodes may be bookmarked to help you find them later. Although if you forget, that may not be a problem: a capable Search tool – with regular expression support – will quickly track down what you need.
By default CherryTree neatly saves you work as a single XML file or SQLite database, optionally password-protecting it to maintain your privacy.
The program also works well with similar note-taking apps, though, importing data from EssentialPIM, Gnote, KeepNote, Mempad, TreePad, Zim and more, or exporting your documents to PDF, HTML or plain TXT.
What’s new in 0.38.9 (see changelog for more):
– Auto replacement of symbols as you type is now configurable in preferences dialog, tab Text (work of trololo88)
– Ctrl+Space to toggle To-Do List Item State; fixed multilevel bug
– Paste/import from html – added basic support for
– In codeboxes use code font for both plain text and syntax hilighting (work of akwala)
– Fix paste as plain text into CodeBox cause losing CodeBox content (#538)
– Export to html, stylesheet revamp (work of gonzalezjo)
Specification: CherryTree 0.38.9:
Platforms:Windows XP,Windows Vista (32 bit),Windows 7 (32 bit),Windows Vista (64 bit),Windows 7 (64 bit),Windows 8,Windows Server,windows 10,LinuxVersion:0.38.9Licence:FreewareDeveloper:Giuseppe Penone