Encrypt and decrypt disk partitions, as well as other external devices, and create encrypted containers, using this straightforward app
Exlade Cryptic Disk is a powerful software application that was built specifically to help you create and encrypt virtual disks, as well as physical HDDs, pen drives or memory cards.
Conveniences of portability
This program enables you to choose between installing it on the hard disk, and a portable version. The latter allows you to run it on the breeze, on any computer you can get your hands on, by simply placing the program files to a USB flash drive, and without having to worry about going through the tedious installation process.
Moreover, by choosing the portable version of Exlade Cryptic Disk, you should know that the Windows registry and Start menu are not going to suffer any changes, and it will leave no traces behind after its removal.
The interface is quite simple, as the main window encloses a menu bar, a navigation pane, several buttons and a panel which lets you view all disks detected and containers created. Both power and novice users can find their way around it with ease. Just in case you run into some difficulties, you should know extensive Help contents are provided. Moreover, there are even some wizards integrated, so that you can be guided every step of the way.
Some of the options present
This utility enables you to create and mount virtual encrypted containers of custom size, as well as encrypt partitions using two methods. To be more accurate, one does not bring any kind of information loss, while the other does not store the available data on the volume.
Passwords can be changed at any point, or they can be removed altogether. Keyboard shortcuts can be assigned to almost all options available, you can view volume properties and change the language of the tool.
To wrap it up, Exlade Cryptic Disk proves to be quite a powerful and useful piece of software when it comes encrypting and decrypting data. The response time is good, CPU and memory usage is low, the environment is intuitive and there are plenty of options to tinker with.
- Processor: Intel Pentium 1 GHz
- RAM: 256 MB
- HDD: 20 MB of free space for program files
LIMITATIONS IN THE UNREGISTERED VERSION
- 30-day trial – after this period expires, the program will continue to work, but all encrypted data will be available in the read-only mode.
- Deniable Encryption so that encrypted volumes do not contain any signatures which could be used to prove that they are encrypted disks or containers
- Support for different cryptographic algorithms to encrypt data: AES/Rijndael, Serpent, Twofish, Blowfish, CAST6
- Ability to mount an encrypted container/disk using any free drive letter or an empty folder on an NTFS disk
- Support for automatic restoration of access settings to shared resources on an encrypted disk after mounting it
- Creation of virtual encrypted disks from container files and mounting them as separate disks