Graphical interface for UPX command-line app, which enables you to quickly pack executable files, without using many system resources
Free UPX Portable represents the GUI for UPX, a tool which helps individuals pack and decompress executables.
This is also the portable counterpart of Free UPX, which means you are not required to install it on your computer. You can drop the program files to a portable storage unit, such as a USB flash drive and run it on any computer you have access to, by simply clicking the executable.
Furthermore, another important aspect to keep in mind is the fact that the Windows registry is not going to be affected in any way by Free UPX Portable, and there will be no leftover files upon its removal from the hard drive.
This software utility supports processing EXE, DLL, OCX, BPL, CPL, SYS, ACM files, and so on. All uploaded items are shown in the main window in a list, along with details such as name, path, original and packed size, compression ratio, type, filter and method. The app integrates the “drag and drop” function, which aids users to manage files in a more efficient manner.
There are multiple types of compression (normal, brute and ultra brute), and it is also possible to create a backup file and select the output folder. All these configurations can be saved to a profile (INI format), so that you can use them at a later date.
A color-coded system is in place, so that people can easily identify non-executables, packed and not packed files. There are some advanced settings power users can work with, such as compression runtime parameters and debug options.
To conclude, Free UPX Portable is a useful piece of software when it comes to packing and decompressing executable items. CPU and memory usage is minimal, response time is good and the feature-rich environment is suitable for both novice and experienced users.
- Compression and decompression of Windows executable files (EXE, DLL, OCX, BPL, CPL, SYS, AX, ACM, DRV, TLB and other).
- Compression and decompression of ELF executables (used on Unix, Linux, Solaris, FreeBSD and other operating systems).
- Compression and decompression of Mac OS X executable files (Mach-O, FAT).
- Easy acces to all UPX command-line parameters.
- Displaying detailed informations about compressed files: original file size, compresson ratio, saved space, compression level and other.
- The ability to filter files based on multiple criteria.
- Predefined UPX profiles for beginners. Advanced users can define custom profiles.
- Portability. Free UPX does not use system registry and all settings are stored in INI file, so it can be run from portable drives.
- Shell integration (optional).