Patient information, for example, can be exchanged between hospitals as long as it is compliant with certain standards, like those of the Health Level 7 (HL7) organization. There are even dedicated software solutions for dealing with that specific format and Hl7Spy is one of them.
Practical interface with a well organized layout
The functions and commands that help operate this application are neatly stacked, according to the task they are made for, each in its corresponding menu and some of the more commonly used can be accessed straight from the right-click menu.
The main window is split into two parts, one hosting the data from the loaded hl7 file and the other dedicated to the detailed information on display and selected.
Customize the views and manage data with loads of tools
Hl7Spy is fully equipped to handle pretty much any compatible aggregation of data sent its way and for this purpose it features a segment editor, a statistics module, a comparison area, HL7 SQL and custom code management tools, as well as an SQL loader and an FTP browser.
Insofar as the other components of this utility are concerned, it is well furnished to carry out operations like merging, splitting or sorting data, adding watches and performing a variety of statistics calculations.
A powerful application for decoding and reading HL7 information
Overall, Hl7Spy manages to provide all the necessary instruments for working with a really special type of data in a straightforward manner. Nonetheless, it is mostly addressed to professionals, who can understand and use the information correctly.
HL7Spy is an interesting and fast full-featured HL7 tool. With the Custom Code feature you can write validation functions, and transforms, and more in c#.
HL7Spy quickly reads hundreds of thousands of messages and provides statistics at the message, field, component and subcomponent levels providing great insight into the nature of the data exchange.
HL7Spy’s Query tool enables querying messages using a SQL-like syntax allowing you to slice-and-dice the messages to answer real-world questions about the data. .
- Load – quickly load files, from 1KB to 100MB and more. HL7Spy will autodetect most file types, and allow you to specify the format of particularly unusual files.
- View – see messages in an easy-to-read layout, with field names and values decoded according to the HL7 standard. There are also many additional features, such as normalizing escape characters better readability, highlighting fields by name, and viewing only relevant fields for each message.
- Edit – Edit message directly, or use the Segment Editor to deal with field locations and escape characters automatically. Search – build complex queries against whole messages or particular fields.
- Sort – sort large message collections based on the fields important to you.
- Analyze – generate statistics showing the unique values in each field, and quickly drill down to the messages with interesting contents.
- Validation – use c# (vb coming soon) to write sophisticated validation routines, well beyond the simple table validation available in other tools. For example, validate the proper exam states transitions, or verify patient names are not modified during an ORM, or ORU update. Anything is possible! Transformations – modify messages using HL7 defined classes. For example, pid.PatientName_05.First=”SMITH^JOHN^D”, sets the first patient name of the message to John Smith. Report – generate, save and print reports on large groups of messages Send and Receive – send and receive messages over the network using MLLP. This includes the ability to view ACKs and/or NACKs