Save the position of icons on your desktop, separately for each display resolution, and restore the layouts at any time with this easy-to-use application
IconRestorer is a freeware Windows tool that can save and restore icon position on the desktop.
Especially helpful if you’re using more than just one monitor or in case you’re changing screen resolutions on a regular basis, IconRestorer is not at all a difficult to use app and provides a great amount of information on every single step.
The program comes with contextual quick help, which means that you get details on every single feature right in the main window.
Of course, you can quickly save the current desktop layout either by using the standard settings or by providing your very own name for the file.
For more advanced features however, there’s a dedicated “Layouts” tab that allows you to rename, delete, export and import previously-saved items, with the screen also showing a bunch of details.
While auto-saving is available only if you agree to pay for an upgrade, there are several settings available, including options to refresh icons after restore, hide new files, save layout preview, restore last layout on startup and restore if screen resolution changes.
The app works okay on absolutely all Windows versions and doesn’t affect system performance in any way, running smoothly all the time.
To sum up, IconRestorer is clearly an effective product that does what it says and doesn’t assault users with unnecessary features. It’s focused on the essential tools exclusively and comes with a great amount of documentation on every single built-in feature.
LIMITATIONS IN THE UNREGISTERED VERSION
- Maximum of two saved layouts
- Hotkeys are disabled
- Autosave is disabled
- Restore desktop wallpaper is disabled
- Repair Windows icon cache feature is disabled
- Manage icons position separately for all screen resolutions
- Multiple backups for each resolution
- Contextual quick help
- Color scheme management
- Backup management – rename, delete, export and import
- Multi monitor support for the Backup Preview
- Restore last saved layout on startup
- Character Set management to support translation into non-latin languages (i.e. Russian, Chinese, etc..)