Password Corral is a powerful password manager that provides an easy-to-use interface and strong encryption algorithms.
The advantages of being portable
Since this is a portable program, it is important to mention that it doesn’t leave any traces in the Windows Registry.
You can copy it on any USB flash drive or other devices, and take it with you whenever you need to store and manage passwords on the breeze, without having to go through installation steps.
While most similar applications sport complex and sometimes difficult to use features, Password Corral offers a user-friendlier approach that perfectly mixes up with the strong encryption it integrates.
Support for different encryption algorithms
and master password
Password Corral offers 256-bit Blowfish and 128-bit Diamond2 encryption, which should be enough to protect your sensitive data, so nobody can access your passwords without knowing the master password first.
Hide passwords from the main window
But what may come in handy to many users is the way Password Corral manages to handle all passwords. The master password is the only thing you need to protect your very own database of passwords which can be also hidden in the main window and thus add a new security layer to the application.
Add info about your passwords and generate random ones
A typical password entry can also comprise information about the username, description, URL and email, but also comments and an expiration date. Plus, Password Corral boasts a password generator to quickly create a password of up to 20 characters, which can be anything from letters, numbers or symbols.
The password generator can be configured from the app’s “Options” screen, so it can create passwords comprising numbers only, letters only, numbers and letters, numbers, letters and special characters. Plus, you can enable the mixed case option and define password length.
The “Security” tab lets you enable the program to clear clipboard contents on exit and display password expiration dialog on startup.
Overall, Password Corral is a very handy password manager that is addressed to all types of users out there. And with a few improvements in some key areas, it could become a five-star product.
Password Corral will use the 128-bit Diamond2 Block Cipher to encrypt all the information you store in the program, keeping it safe from prying eyes. Each password can have both a short description and a long description which can also contain hyperlinks to launch your web browser, open folders on your PC or launch applications.
Each password entry can also have an expiration date to remind you to change the password. Password Corral can be set to time out to the Windows system tray area after a specified period of system inactivity and be protected by your master password, so even if you forget to close Password Corral and walk away from your PC, your password info can still be protected.
Password Corral is very customizable allowing you to display your password information unencrypted on the screen, change the display fonts and hyperlink color and modify many of the security aspects of the program. You can export your password data in an encrypted (or unencrypted) format to keep a safe backup of your data or to transfer your passwords to another PC.
Best of all Password Corral features a clean, easy to use, standard Windows interface – no wild icons or weird dialog boxes – you’ll be up and running as soon as you start the program!
- Single Repository for all your Passwords:
- Now you can have a single place to store all your passwords. Use a single password that you choose to encrypt all the passwords you use. Never forget one again!
- Blowfish or Diamond2 Encryption:
- 256-bit Blowfish or 128-bit Diamond2 encryption stands between you and those unscrupulous persons with prying eyes. Unless they know your master password, they can’t see your data.
- Password Information:
- Passwords are kept in custom groups that you create, and can be nested within each other. Each password you store in Password Corral can also have a description, username, comments, URL and e-mail address, all encrypted just like your password information. No more forgetting which password went with which system. This information can be sorted as you like and printed as well.
- Password Generator:
- Passwords Corral includes a random password generator that allows you to quickly create a random password of up to 20 characters of numbers, letters or special charaters. The generator is configurable and allows you to choose how to generate the password.
- Password Expiration:
- Any password can be set to expire after a given number of days. Password Corral will then issue a warning when a password has expired and allow you to change it at that time. This will help remind you to change your passwords for better security.
- Multiple Users on the Same PC:
- Any user of your PC can create a new Password Corral account. The program keeps track of individual users and their data. Everyone’s information is protected with their own, individual password and encrypted. Note: Password Corral does not support simultanious use of a single user account by multiple users.
- Password Protect Program Features:
- You can lock Password Corral and require entry of your master password before once again using the program. This allows you to keep Password Corral running all the time and still protect your data while you are away from your PC. You can set Password Corral to time out to the system tray after a period of time of system inactivity and protect it there with your master password.
- Hyperlinks in the Comments Field:
- Any HTTP, FTP or WWW links you place in the comments field for your passwords automatically become hyperlinks, and clicking on them will start the default web browser and take you to that site. Hyperlinks in the URL column can also be clicked.
- Flexible Display Options:
- You can choose to display information encrypted or in plain text on screen, choose your own font for the password list and comments field and select a custom color for hyperlinks.
- Import/Export Passwords:
- Password Corral can export your password list to a text file easily! Copy the file to any other PC that has Password Corral, create a new user account for yourself and then import the passwords. Your passwords will now be available on the new PC. The text file also makes a handy backup in case of disaster. Import options are flexible and allow you to merge your existing password list with a different set of passwords from an export file. An auto-export feature allows you to create a backup password file each time you exit the program. And as you’d expect, the export text file is encrypted as well.
- Full On-line Help:
- Password Corral comes with complete, context sensitive on-line help. Just press ‘F1’ in any dialog box for specific information.
- Clean, Easy-to-use, Attractive Interface:
- Password Corral’s interface uses the same Windows features you’re already used to. No wild icons, sloppy window layouts, unnecessary buttons or toolbars; just a clean interface that makes sense, is easy to use and adheres to standard Windows guidelines.