Once you are done with the quick and uneventful installation process, you come face to face with a clean and simple UI. It is comprised of a menu bar, several shortcut buttons, and a few panels to help you view source text, translation and notes.
It becomes clear that anybody can work with it with great ease, including people with little or no previous experience in the IT world.
Supported formats and options available
This software tool enables you to import PO and POT formats, while export is possible as a PO or HTML file. Aside from that, you should know you can input your name, project and e-mail address, change the UI language and character set, and use default rules for plural forms or a custom expression.
The main window enables you to view the source text and translation side-by-side, a feature which is going to greatly enhance ease of use. Moreover, there are also some boxes, which can be used in order to input or edit text, as well as notes for other translators. You can clear an entire translation, copy from source, flag translation as fuzzy, show references and use a search function.
It is also possible to update from a POT file, or fill missing translation from TM (translation memory), set bookmarks and manage them, display quotes, entry IDs, notes for translators and sort items by file order, source and translation.
Poedit is an efficient piece of software when it comes to editing gettext catalogs. It encompasses comprehensive Help contents, a user-friendly interface, good response time and it does not burden the computer’s performance, as CPU and memory usage is minimal.
Poedit was developed to offer you a more convenient approach when it comes to creating and editing a catalog.
Poedit was built with the help of the wxWidgets toolkit and can run on any platform supported by it. Now, you can easily edit all your catalogs.
- Unlike other catalogs editors, poEdit shows data in very compact way. Entries are arranged in a list, so that you can easily navigate large catalogs and immediately get an idea about how big part of the catalog is already translated, what needs translating and which parts are only translated in a “fuzzy” way.
- Plural forms support
- Features whitespaces highlighting
- Fuzzy and untranslated records are highlighted and displayed at the top of the list
- Automatic compilation of .mo files (optional)
- Automatic headers update
- References browser lets you see where and in what context is the string used
- You can use poEdit to scan source code for translatable strings
- UTF-8 support. poEdit understands all encodings supported by operating system and works in Unicode internally
- Support for conversion between line-ending formats (useful if you need to edit catalogs by hand under Windows)
- Translation memory automates translation of frequent phrases. poEdit can reuse translation data from all your PO, MO and RPM files
- Search dialog for quick navigation in the catalog
- Comments editing
- Catalogs manager
- Unicode support
- Spellchecking (GTK 2.x).