Customizable user friendly interface
Although pretty looking enough even from the start, you are given the option to modify the aspect of the main window after your heart’s desire. A few color schemes for the toolbar, and menu are available, as well as several styles and colors for the background of the family tree. In addition, fonts can be edited for an ever greater visual enhancement.
Tabs and menus are easy to spot and access, which is a useful thing, considering the amount of information you can manage.
Any information can be added
The application offers a breathtaking amount of fields you can fill out for anyone you decide to add in your family tree.
From the most basic aspects, like pictures, you are able to include data concerning “DNA test”, or “Will”. In addition, pressing the “Design new fact type” button allows the creation from scratch of a completely new information field, in case you considered something was omitted in the development of the application.
Multiple view types of the tree are available, including a timeline option, and individual people for better searching and editing. For even a further variety of content, there is even a “Create a Book” option which lets you create narrations which you can tie to your existing family tree.
To end with
Taking everything into consideration we can say that RootsMagic Essentials will keep you occupied for some time due to the rich content it offers. From the basic info of any person, to the most advanced and unimaginable options, the application offers you nearly endless possibilities. Start seeking out your relatives and getting to know them, because you will feel tempted to gather and record as much info as you can.
RootsMagic Essentials has six main views, plus a sidebar for easier navigation, all designed so you can build your family tree with extreme ease.
You can switch between the views by simply clicking on the tab for the desired view. All views are fully navigatible using either the mouse or arrow keys. Double clicking on a person’s name brings up the data entry screen for that person. You can even open multiple databases side by side.
The RootsMagic Essentials edit screen allows you to add an unlimited number of facts for every person (i.e. birth, death, marriage, occupation, religion, description, etc). If you want to add a fact type that isn’t in RootsMagic’s predefined list, you can simply create your own fact types. RootsMagic also allows notes and unlimited source citations for every fact.
RootsMagic provides a powerful source list which lets you add, edit, delete, and print the sources of your information. Simply add the source once, then when you add a fact to a person and want to document where that information came from, you simply point to the source in the source list.
And best of all, the RootsMagic SourceWizard will help you write properly formatted sources regardless of your expertise.
- General Features:
- Single-file database format
- Support for international character sets through Unicode integration
- Integrated backup and restore help safeguard your data
- Back up directly to CD
- Customize the tool bar to include the functions you use most, or create your own toolbar
- Database tools let you test the file integrity, rebuild indexes, and compress database to remove deleted records
- Navigation Views:
- Easily switch between navigation views using tabs
- Pedigree View (5 or 6 generations)
- Family View
- Descendant View (2-7 generations)
- People List View (Customizable and filterable)
- Timeline View
- RootsMagic To-Go allows you to run RootsMagic (program and data) directly off your flash drive
- Easy to Learn and Use:
- Easy file management
- Family members are automatically linked as you add them
- Automatically checks for duplicates as you add people
- Click in an empty parent or child slot on screen to add parents or children
- Sidebar on main screen makes navigation easy
- Resize edit and search dialogs to see as much information as you want
- Easy to use Explorer-like help system
- Organize Your Information:
- Open multiple databases on screen at the same time
- Open multiple copies (and views) of the same database
- Alternate names in lists makes it easy to find a person by their other names
- Display relationships to root person on status bar
- Drag and drop people between databases
- Automatically link dragged people into the other database
- Named Groups of People lets you create groups you can use in reports or other areas