Quick and customizable setup
The installation procedure takes minimal time and effort to complete, and you can select the port type between RS232 or RS485, RS522 (through converter) and TCP/IP or UDP. What’s more, you can install the service application.
Configure IP, server and additional settings
The interface does not include visually attractive elements, yet it is simple to navigate. When it comes to configuration settings, you can choose the protocol type, mode (client or server), local IP address and port number, retry mode, allowed IP addresses, limit of simultaneous connections, time before disconnecting inactive clients, TCP keep alive mode, and so on.
Customize logging and security details
Serial Printer Logger is capable of capturing data to binary, PDF or RTF file format. It can log file rotation for either sent or received data (depending on your preferences) and create the log files on the disk so you can later study them. Furthermore, you can establish log file access and deletion conditions, set the code type for viewing characters, insert the date and time stamp, as well as edit name and security information. Plugins are supported for handling events, and they can be easily downloaded for event notifications, Internet sharing and log packing.
It is possible back up the current configuration to file and restore it later, clear the screen, consult summary statistics, create and manage multiple configurations, as well as save the settings to an INI file instead of the Windows registry.
Evaluation and conclusion
The tool does not put a strain on computer performance, thanks to the fact that it needs a low amount of CPU and RAM to work properly. No error dialogs were shown in our tests, and it did not hang or crash. Taking everything into account, Serial Printer Logger proves to be a reliable application that supplies advanced PC users with resourceful features for monitoring multiple printer ports and capturing their traffic.
Serial Printer Logger is a handy and reliable application which offers the possibility to log multiple ports at the same time.
You may be a professional hardware or network engineer, an application maintenance person, or a talented technology lover illuminated by a new bright technical idea and looking for a handy tool for extending your hardware-software application.
Serial Printer Logger can replace your old dot-matrix printers and collect data in real time to a binary log file, a PDF or a MS Word electronic document. This replacement will save your money (paper, consumables, maintenance). If you have several dot-matrix printers working simultaneously – the software provides real-time data collection from printers that connected via RS232, RS485 or Ethernet and can handle multiple ports at once and write the bytes to a HDD or any specified target!
The utility analyses ESC/P control codes and decodes graphics, fonts from a received data. Therefore you can reprint files later or create a backup copy. Serial Printer Logger can work as a Windows service, which means that you may use it on servers or users may log on and off the PC, and the software will be there saving your information. Good functionality at an acceptable price!
- Serial Printer Logger is based on an engine of our favorite product Advanced Serial Data Logger and therefore inherits all base features of this software, but apart from Advanced Serial Data Logger that works with serial ports (RS232 or RS485) only Serial Printer Logger works with RS232, TCP/IP or UDP ports and sockets.
- Capability to log multiple ports at same time. Our data logger has the capability to log multiple ports simultaneously so that multiple dot-matrix printers can be logged. Each port may have fully different settings;
- Universal. Supports most ESC/P and ESC/P 2 control codes, except custom characters;
- Extended logging features. Outputs received data without any changes to a log file at real-time. Supports date/time stamping. Supports custom baudrates;
- Customized fonts. Different fonts types and sizes. Can use ESC/P or ESC/P2 control code for fonts selection;
- Customized paper size. Supports various paper sizes: A4 210 x 297 mm, A5 148 x 210 mm, Letter 8 1/2 x 11 in etc.
- Various graphics. Captures and decodes bitmap or raster graphics. In a PDF file graphics will be compressed for a smaller file size;
- PDF. Exports captured from a dot-matrix printer data to ready-to-use Adobe PDF at real-time;
- Microsoft Word. Exports captured from a dot-matrix printer data to ready-to-use RTF file, including graphics;
- Program message logging – writing to a file all program messages, so you may diagnose errors and warning;
- Plugins. Plugin modules that extending program features;
- Simple, menu-driven step by step set-up Programming is not required to configure the software to collect data;
- Windows service mode. Unlike most other serial logging applications, Serial Printer Logger can run as a service so that it starts as soon as the operating system starts and doesn’t require a user to log in and run it. It will continue to run even as users logon and logoff the workstation.
- It is extremely easy to use! The configuration process is fully menu driven and has complete, context sensitive, on-line help. You can easily customize all input to your exact specifications. Once you see how easy it is to use Serial Printer Logger, you will never again take data readings by hand!