An intuitive and user-friendly application that provides highly secure encryption of your personal data: fast, efficient and foolproof
Steganos Safe is an intuitive piece of kit that you can use to create safes on your computer, in order to protect sensitive data from pry eyes. It particularly comes in handy if you share the machine with other people.
Intuitive interface makes it easy to use
A safe is a virtual drive that you can access just like any other volume on your computer, with the difference being that it can be password-protected as well as made invisible when not in use.
The main application window has a modern appearance and a clean layout. You can create a new regular safe to encrypt data on the current computer only, portable one for use on external hard disks or pen drives (for use on multiple machines), or a Dropbox safe. The last option allows you to encrypt data in your Dropbox account, as the name implies, as long as you have the respective tool installed.
Multiple ways to create and manage safes
Apart from specifying a safe name, you can allocate its size (in MB) and set up a password with or without storing it on a key device. From this point on, you can open a hidden safe from Steganos Safe’s primary panel, which basically means making the virtual drive visible in your default file manager. It is possible to hide a safe within an audio or video file too, to add an extra level of security.
Various tools to work with
A wide array of configuration settings is available through the context menu of a selected safe in the main frame. For example, you can highlight or delete it, change the drive letter and password, mount a safe as a local or removable drive, move the SLE file to another location (contains the safe contents), trigger applications to run after opening or closing the safe, modify allocated size, as well as point out a global hotkey for opening or closing the safe.
Clever use of system resources
Steganos Safe uses moderate RAM and low CPU, has a good response time and works smoothly. We have not come across any issues throughout our evaluation, since the tool did not hang, crash or show error messages.
On an ending note
All in all, there are many applications dedicated to creating virtual safes (vaults, crypts etc.). However, Steganos Safe is probably one of the most easy-to-use ones, backed up by a well-organized interface and intuitive options, which make it ideal for all types of users, regardless of their level of experience.
- 100 MB of space on your hard drive for installation
- At least 256 MB of free memory
- At least Pentium or comparable CPU
- Internet connection (must-have for product activation and updates)
LIMITATIONS IN THE UNREGISTERED VERSION
- 30 days trial
- Nag screen
- Highly secure encryption:
- The algorithm used for encryption, AES (Advanced Encryption Standard), protects your sensitive data with 256-bit encoding. Thanks to multicore support, it can do this in real time and it’s uncrackable!
- Vaults up to 1 Terabyte big:
- Encrypted virtual safes protect documents, photos and videos on PCs and laptops. Each data vault – any number of which can be set up – holds up to 1,000 GB = 1 terabyte! The size of safes can also be modified at a later stage by using the practical slide control.
- Portable safe – the vault to take with you:
- The data vault you can take with you – on a USB stick, CD, DVD or BluRay disc. Practical: you don’t need any extra software to open a Steganos Portable Safe™ on another computer.
- Invisible. The hidden safe:
- Steganos Safe not only encrypts your data, but also inconspicuously hides it in a picture, piece of music or a video. So you can even file away highly sensitive data.
- Steganos Shredder:
- Personal data like your private documents, pictures or videos can get into the wrong hands if you send your computer off to a repair or sell it. You can prevent that from happening! Steganos Shredder permanently deletes the traces you leave behind on your PC – totally automatically if desired.
- Quick and easy:
- If desired, you can open and close your safe with practical keyboard shortcuts. Shortcuts to opened safes are created on the desktop. Data can then be easily copied to the safe with a simple drag & drop. Or automatically launch the safe upon logging into your computer. Applications can also be automatically launched after you’ve opened the drive.