Learning programming and especially a language like Python requires, among other things, a good software solution that can make the whole process easier while providing all the needed utilities for carrying out the necessary tasks.
Wing IDE 101 was created especially for this purpose and it aims to become the tool of choice for programmers and beginners as well.
Practical interface for writing code easily
The installation procedure is pretty straightforward and in no time you should be inside the main window of Wing IDE 101. The feel of the GUI is that of a professional tool, with everything in place and easily accessible.
The workspace is split into several areas and most of the area is reserved to the multi-tabbed code editor. An important thing that should be mentioned is that the interface can be customized in detail, so the layout, toolbars, fonts and even the keyboard can be tweaked to some extent.
Powerful Python editor and debugger functions
Writing and managing bits of code is something at which Wing IDE 101 excels and there is a rich set of commands and features that are dedicated to these jobs. Besides the ‘Edit’ menu, where you can find most of them, the right-click menu is well furnished with shortcuts to the most often used tools.
The graphical debugger Wing IDE 101 is equipped for finding bugs in any kind of Python code. It is able to identify exceptions and will immediately let you know if any are spotted during the debugging process.
A top-of-the-range product for getting by with Python
All things considered, this software solution can certainly fit the bill for any user interested in learning Python and working with this programming language. The solid feature pack and the documentation that is included should make the job easier for everyone using Wing IDE 101.
Wing IDE is an application created to for hobbyists and educational users. Wing IDE 101 is free scaled down Python IDE designed for teaching introductory programming classes.
Wing understands your Python code and puts context appropriate-knowledge at your fingertips, whether you’re typing in the editor, working in the source browser, managing your project, or debugging your application.
You can change the overall look and feel of the user interface on the fly by selecting among many themes including black background, low contrast, high contrast and large print options.
For Non-Commercial Use only.
- Syntax highlights Python and 60+ languages
- VI/Vim key bindings
- Visual Studio style key bindings
- Brief key bindings
- Indentation guides
- Adapts to file EOL style
- Rectangular and line selection
- Visible white space
- Editor splits & tabs
- Print file or selection
- Auto-save and restore
- Django template syntax highlighting
- Emacs key bindings
- OS X style key bindings
- Block indentation
- Adapts to file indent style
- Block commenting
- Brace matching
- Detect and load external changes
- Configurable tab key
- Highlight caret line
- Code Intelligence:
- Quick keyboard navigation to files and symbols
- Code-aware line wrapping
- Scans for sys.path changes in main debug file
- Source index menus
- Error indicators
- GUI, Web, and script debugging
- View stack, locals/globals, and return value
- Integrated debug process I/O with configurable text encoding
- Exception traceback reporting
- Supports input() and raw_input()
- Native console I/O
- Search Interfaces:
- Basic search
- Search in Selection
- Toolbar quick search
- Other Features:
- Integrated Python shell with auto-completion
- Create multiple tool instances
- Integrated documentation, How-Tos, and tutorial
- Supports Stackless Python
- Supports debug builds of Python
- Supports code in zip archives and eggs
- Supports virtualenv
- Automatic patch / update manager
- German GUI Localization
- French GUI Localization
- Customizable user interface
- Graphical preferences editor
- Supports most versions of CPython
- Supports 32-bit and 64-bit Python builds
- Supports cygwin Python
- Supports code in buildouts
- Integrated feedback / bug reporting