Intuitive and customizable interface
The interface is incredibly well-organized, with a main workspace that displays offset lines with corresponding code and interpretation, as well as fully customizable side panel elements. System resources is not something to worry about, being available on multiple configurations. What’s more, you can easily keep it on a removable disk drive since it does not require installation.
Handle file writing options
Adding a file can easily be done with the help of the dedicated file menu entry or simply dragging them over the main window. It is possible to simultaneously work on more projects, each opening up in a separate tab, this making it possible to add more files at a time.
By default, the application restricts you from editing any details so that you don’t accidentally damage a file, even though you can undo your actions. This can be handled by setting the file mode to read only, writeable or direct write, which applies changes as you make them.
Keep your data safe with backups
Furthermore, you can run a comparison tool with customizable options, in order to analyze differences. Entire disk drives can be loaded to view and modify hex data. Since it is a delicate task, included features let you create a backup, restore settings or even completely erase data on a drive.
Taking everything into consideration, we can say that wxHexEditor is an incredibly easy to use and practical application of its kind. It’s at the beginning of development, already offering various editing options. Moreover, you can easily keep it on a removable storage unit for more flexibility in your work.
wxHexEditor is an application designed to help you find, recover and save information from any file, HDD or partition by editing them in hex.
You can edit partition tables by hand or you could recover files from File System by hand with wxHexEditor. The utility can edit HDD/SDD disk devices or partitions in raw up to exabyte sizes.
- It uses 64 bit file descriptors (supports files or devices up to 2^64 bytes , means some exabytes but tested only 1 PetaByte file
- It does NOT copy whole file to your RAM. That make it FAST and can open files (which sizes are Multi Giga < Tera < Peta < Exabytes)
- You can work with delete/insert bytes to file, more than once, without creating temp file!.
- Can operate with file through XOR encryption.
- Has multiple views to show multiple files in same time.
- Has x86 disassembly support (via integrated udis86 library) to hack things little faster.
- Has colorful tags to make reverse engineering easier and more fun.
- You can copy/edit your Disks, HDD Sectors with it. (Useful for rescue files/partitions by hand.)
- Support Hex or Text editor alone operation.
- Compare binary files, allows merge of near results.
- Decimal, Hexadecimal, Octal and LBA (“Sector+Offset”) addressing modes, (switchable one to another by right click of mouse on Offset panel.
- Save selection as a dump file feature for make life easier.
- Import & Export TAGs support from file.